Alex's IMPACT part 2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Am My Neighbor's Bible

4 posters

Go down

I Am My Neighbor's Bible Empty I Am My Neighbor's Bible

Post  TheFairMaiden Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:41 am

"I am my neighbor's Bible;
He reads me when we meet;
Today he reads me in my home-
Tomorrow, in the street.
He may a relative or friend be;
Or slight acquaintance be;
He may not even know my name,
Yet he is reading me.

And pray, who is this neighbor,
Who reads me day by day,
To learn if I am living right,
And walking as I pray?
Oh, he is with me always,
To criticize or blame;
So worldly wise in his own eyes,
And "Sinner" is his name.

Dear Christian friends and sisters,
If we could only know
How faithfully the world records
Just what we say and do;
Oh, we would write our record plain,
And come in time to see
Our worldly neighbor won to Christ
While reading you and me."

I read this poem today, and thought it was really intriguing. I also agree with what it says. I think people, especially those who don't know Christ, notice whether or not we're like them or not. I think they read us more than we know, just like we read other people. It's amazing what a big impression you make when you choose to listen to God-honoring music, watch appropriate movies and television shows, take pride in your education, strive for excellence, and treat your family and friends with love instead of disrespect. So remember, even when you're in a crowd of strangers, you never know who could be watching. Most definitely, God always is, so that should make it even more important to you to do things that honor Him. What do you think? Do you agree that we should hold our conduct and actions to godly standards? Why or why not?
TheFairMaiden
TheFairMaiden

http://www.xanga.com/FightingForVirtue

Back to top Go down

I Am My Neighbor's Bible Empty Re: I Am My Neighbor's Bible

Post  Shadow_Girl Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:46 am

I think we our conduct should reflect God, but I also think that it can be wise to know about ungodly things (as long as it doesn't cause you to be ungodly). Afterall, the biggest way to argue against something is to know everything about it.
Shadow_Girl
Shadow_Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFairMaiden Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:06 am

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy-meditate on these things." -Philippians 4:8.

"Do not enter the path of the wicked, And do not walk in the way of evil. Avoid it, do not travel on it; Turn away from it and pass on." -Proverbs 4:14-15.

I don't think the Bible leaves it open for argument. There are many verses where it's perfectly clear that God does not want us to partake in the things of the world. If the music, movies, or anything else you are involved in, is something that is distinctly worldly or secular (because it says things that are in appropriate, or shows people behaving in a sinful way) then it is of the world, therefore we should not accept it as being no big deal, or "not that bad." Instead, the Bible urges the pursuit of godliness in all things. He tells us to be in the world and not of it for a good reason, of that I'm sure.
TheFairMaiden
TheFairMaiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadow_Girl Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:46 am

I'm not saying to not think it's a big deal, I'm saying arm yourself with a little knowledge. Don't be ignorant. You can say a movie is bad because your parents told you it was, but no one is going to take you seriously if you don't even know why the movie is bad. You don't have to WATCH the bad movie. You can look up reviews and summaries to help you come to a conclusion. I guess my point is don't sound ignorant when someone asks you about why you thinking something is bad and all you can say is "I don't know." Also, it helps you know what form 'evil' or 'bad things' might come in. You don't have to walk in the ways of the wicked to know about them, neither do you have to meditate on them.

Example: You learn about drugs in school not so that you can know how to use them, but protect yourself against them.

Example of Application: You're unbelieving friend lends you a CD. Do you refuse his offer? No, listen to some songs on the CD. If the content is questionable or improper, when you give it back to the friend and they ask how you like it, explain that you didn't and why. That can be a testimony in itself.

In THIS way, we still act as a Bible pointing wrong and right by simply showing our discomfort, outrage, or indifference when hearing or seeing something ungodly.
Shadow_Girl
Shadow_Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFairMaiden Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:09 pm

My point was, that you shouldn't continually listen to or watch something you know is bad. I agree with what you said, but I think if a song has bad lyrics, you shouldn't listen to it after you know that it has bad lyrics. The same with content in a movie.
TheFairMaiden
TheFairMaiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadow_Girl Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:17 pm

TheFairMaiden wrote:My point was, that you shouldn't continually listen to or watch something you know is bad. I agree with what you said, but I think if a song has bad lyrics, you shouldn't listen to it after you know that it has bad lyrics. The same with content in a movie.

I figured that was your perspective, so that's why I explained further to avoid misunderstandment. Very Happy WE ACTUALLY AGREE ON SOMETHING!
Shadow_Girl
Shadow_Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  The Beaver Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:19 pm

from what i read it looks like i am a horrible sinner because i listen to devil music such as 3DG 3 Doors down and such and that my actions will be like those of the sixties
The Beaver
The Beaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadow_Girl Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:37 pm

3 Doors Down isn't bad D: Not the songs I've heard anyway
Shadow_Girl
Shadow_Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  The Beaver Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:17 pm

but it doesn't glorify God so i'm a sinner
The Beaver
The Beaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadow_Girl Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:20 pm

If you can sit with God and listen to it unashamed, then I think it qualifies as glorifying him. After all, He IS there and you listen to the music together. And like Sunday school said, you glorify God most when you're most satisfied in him.
Shadow_Girl
Shadow_Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  The Beaver Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:46 pm

good point
The Beaver
The Beaver

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFairMaiden Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:25 am

Shadow_Girl wrote:If you can sit with God and listen to it unashamed, then I think it qualifies as glorifying him. After all, He IS there and you listen to the music together. And like Sunday school said, you glorify God most when you're most satisfied in him.

I disagree with you on this one. It did say that in Sunday School, but I don't think listening to music that talks continually about sex, etc., or watching a movie that you shouldn't watch is glorifying God, regardless of the frame of mind you're in. If you're unashamed, then there would be other things to worry about. I think we should be ashamed if we listen to or watch garbage. What we put in our minds affects the way we think. Maybe not at first, but over a period of time, it does. At the very least, it numbs us to things that are wrong. I do understand your point on that, but I just disagree with it.
TheFairMaiden
TheFairMaiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghostface! At The Disco Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:56 pm

Shadow_Girl wrote:If you can sit with God and listen to it unashamed, then I think it qualifies as glorifying him. After all, He IS there and you listen to the music together. And like Sunday school said, you glorify God most when you're most satisfied in him.

Agreed.
Ghostface! At The Disco
Ghostface! At The Disco
Admin

https://impact2.all-up.com or www.myspace.com/alexstyron

Back to top Go down

Post  The Beaver Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:12 pm

TheFairMaiden wrote:

I disagree with you on this one. It did say that in Sunday School, but I don't think listening to music that talks continually about sex, etc., or watching a movie that you shouldn't watch is glorifying God, regardless of the frame of mind you're in. If you're unashamed, then there would be other things to worry about. I think we should be ashamed if we listen to or watch garbage. What we put in our minds affects the way we think. Maybe not at first, but over a period of time, it does. At the very least, it numbs us to things that are wrong. I do understand your point on that, but I just disagree with it.

that elimantes half the christian music in the world
The Beaver
The Beaver

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFairMaiden Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:43 pm

If there's music that continually talks about sex then it probably isn't really Christian music. Shocked
TheFairMaiden
TheFairMaiden

Back to top Go down

Post  The Beaver Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:25 pm

but remember it all comes from the heart so that grit whatever you listen to most likely non christian
The Beaver
The Beaver

Back to top Go down

Post  The Beaver Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:37 pm

well i don't listen to songs that continuisly talk about sex
The Beaver
The Beaver

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFairMaiden Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:33 am

The Beaver wrote:but remember it all comes from the heart so that grit whatever you listen to most likely non christian

What do you mean?
TheFairMaiden
TheFairMaiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadow_Girl Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:47 am

TheFairMaiden wrote:

I never meant that you could listen to music that continually talks about sex or any other profanity. I'm assuming you're listening to music in a Christian mindset, therefore you WOULD be ashamed to listen to that kind of music. So that eliminates that argument from the record.
Shadow_Girl
Shadow_Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  The Beaver Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:25 am

some people that say they are christian artists don't mean they really are christian band christian music is the easiest money maker in the music industry and easiest to get in to
The Beaver
The Beaver

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFairMaiden Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:20 pm

What does that have to do with anything? I don't listen to bands that sing about garbage, so what were you talking about previously?

but remember it all comes from the heart so that grit whatever you listen to most likely non christian
TheFairMaiden
TheFairMaiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadow_Girl Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:23 pm

The Beaver wrote:some people that say they are christian artists don't mean they really are christian band christian music is the easiest money maker in the music industry and easiest to get in to

That may be true, but technically, worship and passion music isn't affected by the intention of which it is made. People can still worship to it.
Shadow_Girl
Shadow_Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down